tel: +39 0498277687
tel: +39 0498277687
Enrico Pagello was born in Vicenza, Italy, on November 17, 1946. He is resident in Vicenza, Italy, and is married, with one son and one daughter. He is currently a Full Professor of Computer Science, and a member of the Doctorate School in Information Engineering, at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Padua. He is also a Founding Director of the Intelligent Autonomous System Research Laboratory (IAS- Lab), since 1999, at the Dept. of Information Engineering of University of Padua. He received in 1972 his "Laurea in Ingegneria Elettronica" at Padua University. From 1973 till 1976 he won a four-years Fellowship, for doing advanced research on Artificial Intelligence at the Institute of Biomedical Engineering and System Sciences of CNR, where he became a Junior Associate Scientist in 1976. Then, in 1983 he moved to the University ofPadua, as an Associate Professor of Computer Science of the Faculty of Engineering, where he became later a Full Professor in 2002. He is now also a part-time Senior Associate Scientist at the Institute of Neuroscience of CNR, and a Founding Partner, since 2005, of IT+Robotics Sri, a Spin-off Industrial Company co-participated by the University ofPadua, for developing industrial innovative products in the area of industrial automation, mobile robotics, video surveillance and small personal robots. In 2015 he has also funded another Start-up, EXiMotion, for doing R&D in the biomedical field. In 2009 he has been elected Fellow of the School of Engineering at The University of Tokyo. He has been active in the research fields of Robot Programming Languages and Environment, Robot Motion Planning, Robot Task and Assemb y Planning, Robot Simulators, Multi-Robot Systems, Mobile Robotics, Navigation and Localization Systems, Humanoids Robotics, and Robotics Rehabilitation, where he has co-authored more than 200 publications.
Coordination of National and International Projects
Prof. Pagello has been both the local Principal Investigator of Research Projects granted by the European Community (ELI), by the Italian Minister of University Education and Scientific Research (MIUR) and the Italian National Energy Agency CENEA) and a National Coordinator of Research Projects, granted by the Italian Research Council CNR). This year 2015 he won one ofthe Bi-annual Five Grants of the EU EuroC Challenge, in the area of Intelligent Manufacturing.
Prof. Pagello teaches a class on Foundations of Computer Science, at the Undergraduate Division for the Bachelor on Mechatronics Engineering, and a class in Autonomous Robotics for the Master in Computer Engineering.
During the academic year 1977-78, Prof. Pagello was a Visiting Scholar for one full year at the Lab. of Artificial Intelligence of Stanford University (USA), upon an invitation of prof. J. McCarthy, to do research in the Robotics Group that was designing the AL Robot Language, under the guide ofTom Binford.
In Nov. 1991, he was a Visiting Associate Profi at Keio University (Yokohama - Japan), that he visited again as Visiting Full Professor in May and June 2005, and where he has been alSPS Fellow from March 2008 till August 2008, to do research in Robotics at the Dept. of System Design Engineering, with Prof.s Kouhei Ohnishi and Kazuo Yoshida. In May and June 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, and 2001, he was a Visiting Scientist at the Dept. ofPrecision Machinery Engineering of the University of Tokyo, where he has also been a ISPS Fellow from February 2004 till July 2004, to do research in cooperation With Prof. Tamio Arai. Since 2001 he has cooperated with prof. Hiroshi Ishiguro of Osaka University by exchanging PhD students and Post-doc. He has also been an Invited Professor at the University of Shanghai Jiao-Tong CPR-China) in May 1989, and Escola Politecnica de Universidade de Sao Paulo (Brazil) in May2009.
He lectured in many Italian and foreign Universities, among which Edinburgh 1973 (Great Britain), Glushkov Inst. of Cybernetics 1988 CUcraina), Hokkaido 1989 and 2004, Keio 1991, 2005, 2006, and 2008, Nagasaki 1999, Osaka 2004, Toyo 2006, and Tokyo 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2004, (Japan), Shanghai Jiao-Tong 1989 and 1991, and University of Science and Technology of China, in Hefei 2007 CPR-China), Wisconsin-Madison 1993 (USA), Sao Paulo 2009 (Brazil). In 2004 he was an Invited Speaker at the 14th National Conference of the French Association of Artificial Intelligence.
International Organizational Activities
Prof. Pagello has been a Chair of the Working Group on Robotics (GLR) of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AllA) from 1992 till 1998, a Vice-President of the Italian Association of Robotics and Automation (SIRI) from 2000 till 2006, and a Vice-President of the International RoboCup Federation
from 2000 till 2004. He has been also a President of the International Society for Intelligent and Autonomous Systems OAS-Society) from March 2004 to December 2012.
He has been a General Chair of the Sixth Int. Conference on Intelligent and Autonomous Systems (IAS-6) held in Venice in 2000; a General Chair of the Seventh Int. RoboCup-2003 Competitions and Symposium held in Padua in 2003; a Co-Chair of the Int. Workshops on Soccer Humanoids Robots held in Genua in 2006, in Pittsburgh in 2007, and in Paris in 2009; a General Chair of the First Int. Conference on Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots (SIMPAR-2008) held in Venice in 2008; a Co-Chair of the Int. Workshops on New research Frontiers on Intelligent Autonomous Systems CNRF-IAS) held in Venice in 2015.
Associate Editor of Al Communications, from 1992 to 1997; IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, from 1997 to 2000; Robotics and Autonomous Systems since January 2001 up to now.
Co-Editor of four Books: Intelligent Autonomous Systems 6, IOS Press, 2000; RoboCup-99: Robot Soccer World Cup Ill, Springer, 2000; Balancing Reactivity and Social Deliberation in Multi-Agent Systems, Springer, 2001; Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots, Springer, 2008.
Co-Editor of six Special Issues of International Journals: Intelligent Autonomous Systems-6, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2000; Multi-robot Systems, IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 2002;
Humanoid Soccer Robots, Int. Journal of Humanoid Robotics, 200B; Advances in Autonomous Robots for Service and Entertainment, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2010, New Research Frontiers on IntelligentAutonomous Systems, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, to appear in 2015, Embodied-Brain Systems Science and Adaptive Intelligence, Advanced Robotics, to appear in 2016.
Participation in International Robotics Challenges
Prof. Pagello has a long Experience in participating and coordinating International Challenges, having joined the RoboCup Community since the beginning, by bringing a team of students in Nagoya In 1997 to the first RoboCup. Then, he has been nominated a Trustee of the Int. RoboCup Federation, from 199B
until 2008, and a VicePresident from 2001 to 2004. He organized and chaired the VII RoboCup event in Padua, in 2003, with more than 1 250 participants.
He has also taken great care into the Technology Transfer process from the Academic Research to the Industry community, with particular regards to the SME. To this aim, in 2015 he co-founded IT+Robotics Srl, as a formal Spin-off of the University of Padua, that has joined several research actions of IAS-Lab. In
particular, last year the IAS-Lab together With IT+Robotics, and two more SME, have started to compete successfully in the European Challenge EuroC under the coordination of prof. Pagello, who, in this year 2015, won a Grant of 375,000 Euros for supporting the participation of the four partners to this Challenge.
Recent Selected Publications
• S. Michieletto, S. Ghidoni, E. Pagello, M. Moro, E. Menegatti (2014). Why teach robotics using ROS, Journal of automation, mobile robotics and intelligent systems (JAMRIS), 60- 68, 8;
• M Sartori, M. Reggiani, E. Pagello, D Lloyd. Modeling the Human Knee for Assistive Technologies. IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, 2012, pp. 2642- 2649
• Farinelli, H. Fujii, N. Tomoyasu, M. Takahashi, A. D’Angelo, and E. Pagello. Cooperative control through objective achievement. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 2010, pp. 910-920.
• F. Dalla Libera, T. Minato, I. Fasel, H. Ishiguro, E. Pagello, E. Menegatti A new paradigm of humanoid robot motion programming based on touch interpretation Robotics and autonomous systems, Volume 57 , Issue 8 (July 2009) pp. 846-859
• S. Carpin, Pagello E. (2009). An experimental study of distributed robot coordination. Robotics and autonomous systems, vol. 57; p. 129-133
• D'Angelo A., Pagello E., H. Yuasa Issues on Autonomous Agents from a Roboticle Perspective. Journal of intelligent & robotic systems, vol. 52, 2008, p. 389-416
• S. Carpin, M. Kallmann, Pagello E. The challenge of motion planning for soccer playing humanoid robots. Int. Journal of humanoid robotics, vol. 5, 2008, p. 481-499
• E. Menegatti, Simionato C., Tonello S., Cicirelli G., Distante A., Ishiguro H., Pagello E. Knowledge propagation in a distributed omnidirectional vision system. journal of intelligent & fuzzy systems, vol. 18, 2007 p. 217-23J
• Mirolo, S. Carpin, E. Pagello. Incremental convex minimization for computing collision translations of convex polyhedra. IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 2007, pp. 403-415
• E. Pagello, A. D'Angelo, E. Menegatti Cooperation issues and distributed sensing for multirobot systems. Proceedings of IEEE. Vol. 94, 2006, pp. 1370-1383
• E. Pagello, E. Menegatti, D. Polani, A. Bredenfel, P. Costa, T. Christaller, A. Jacoff, M. Riedmiller, A. Saffiotti, E. Sklar, T. Tomoichi RoboCup-2003: New Scientific andTechnical Advances AI MAGAZINE, American Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) Vol. 25, No. 2, Summer 2004, pp. 81-98
Co-Edited Special Issues of International Journals
• M. Gini, K. Ohnishi and E. Pagello (Guest Eds.), Special Issue on Advances in Autonomous Robots for Service and Entertainment, ROBOTICS AND AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS Vol. 58, Iss. 7, 31 July 2010
• C. Zhou, Pagello E. (Guest Eds): Humanoid Soccer Robots INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMANOID ROBOTICS, vol. 5, 2008
• T. Arai, L. Parker, E. Pagello (Guest Eds): Multi-robot Systems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION, Vol 18, No. 5, October 2002
• E. Pagello, T. Arai, R. Dillmann, A. Stentz (Guest Eds.), Special Issue on Intelligent Autonomous Systems – 6 , ROBOTICS AND AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS, Volume 40, No. 2-3, August 2002
• S. Carpin, I. Noda, E. Pagello, M. Reggiani, O. von Stryk (Eds.). Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots First International Conference, SIMPAR 2008. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI), Vol. No. 5325, Springer-Verlag, 2008
• M. Hannebauer, E. Pagello, J. Wendler (Eds): Balancing Reactivity and Social Deliberation in Multi-Agent Systems. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI), Vol. No. 2103, Springer 2001
• E. Pagello, F. Groen, T. Arai, R. Dillmann, and A. Stentz (Eds.), Intelligent Autonomous Systems – 6. IOS Press, 2000
• M. Veloso, E. Pagello, H. Kitano (Eds.), RoboCup-99: Robot Soccer World Cup III. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI), Vol. No. 1856, Springer, 2000.
Selected recent papers published in Proceedings of International Conferences
• R. Bortoletto, S. Michieletto, E. Pagello, D. Piovesan. Human Muscle-Tendon Stiffness Estimation during Normal Gait Cycle based on Gaussian Mixture Model. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, July 15-19, 2014 Padua, Italy
• S. Michieletto, L. Tonin, M. Antonello, R. Bortoletto, F. Spolaor, E. Pagello1, and E. Menegatti. GMM-based Single-joint Angle Estimation using EMG signals. Proc. of 13th Int. Conf. on Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS-13), Padua (Italy), July 15-18, 2014. Springer to appear
• E. Tosello, S. Michieletto, A. Bisson, E. Pagello, E. Menegatti. A Learning from Demonstration Framework for Manipulation Tasks. ISR/Robotik 2014; Proc. of 41th International Symposium on Robotics. Munchen (Germany), June 2-3, 2014. VDE Publisher, ISBN: 978-3-8007-3601-0
• M. Munaro, F. Basso, S. Michieletto, E. Pagello and E. Menegatti. A Software Architecture for RGB-D People Tracking Based on ROS Framework for a Mobile Robot. In Frontiers of Intelligent Autonomous Systems. Lee, Sukhan, Yoon, Kwang-Joon, Lee and Jangmyung Eds. SCI 466, Springer. 2013. pp. 53-68
• F. Ferrati, R. Bortoletto, E. Pagello. Virtual Modelling of a Real Exoskeleton Constrained to a Human Musculoskeletal Model. In Biomimetic and Biohybrid Systems, Lepora N.,Mura A., Krapp, H., Verschure P. (Eds.). Springer, LNCS, Vol. 8064, 2013, pp 96-107
• R. Bortoletto, M. Sartori, F. He and E. Pagello Modeling and Simulating Compliant Movements in a Musculoskeletal Bipedal Robot. Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots. Third International Conference, SIMPAR 2012, Tsukuba, Japan, November 5-8, 2012, Proceedings. Noda, I. Ando, N. Brugali, D. Kuffner, J.J. (Eds.). Tsukuba, Japan, November 58, LNAI, vol. 7628, 2012. pp. 237-250
• N. Boscolo, R. D. Battisti, M. Munaro, A. Farinelli and E. Pagello A distributed kinodynamic collision avoidance system under ROS. Intelligent Autonomous Systems 12. Volume 2: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference IAS-12. Held June 26-29, 2012, Jeju Island, Korea, S. Lee, H.-S. Cho, K.-J. Yoon, and J. Lee (Eds.), Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Berlin: Springer Verlag, AISC vol. 194, 2012. pp. 511-521.
•D'Angelo, E. Pagello, A Thermodynamic Framework for Robot Colony Control. In: H. Christensen, F. Groen, E. Petriu (Eds.), Intelligent Autonomous Systems 11, IAS-11, Sept 2011, IOS Press, p. 259-270,
• S.M Anzalone, E. Menegatti, E. Pagello, Y. Yoshikawa, H. Ishiguro, R. Sorbello (2011). A multimodal people recognition system for an intelligent environment, XII International Conference on Advances in Artificial Intelligence by the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA 2011), 15-17 September 2011, Palermo, Italy
• M. Sartori, M. Reggiani, D. G. Lloyd, and E. Pagello. A neuromusculoskeletal model of the human lower extremity: Towards EMG-driven actuation of multiple joints in powered orthoses. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), Zurich (Switzerland) June 2011
• S.M Anzalone, E. Menegatti, E. Pagello, Y. Yoshikawa, H. Ishiguro, A. Chella Audio-video people recognition system for an intelligent environment, 4th International Conference on Human System Interaction (HSI 2011), 19-21 May 2011, Yokohama, Japan
• Pretto, E. Menegatti, E. Pagello Omnidirectional dense large-scale mapping and navigation based on meaningful triangulation. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA-2011). Shanghai, Cina, May 2011. p. 3289-3296
• M. Sartori, D. G. Lloyd, M. Reggiani, E. Pagello. An EMG-driven Musculoskeletal Model of the Human Lower Limb for the Estimation of Muscle Forces and Moments at the Hip, Knee and Ankle Joints in vivo. Workshop on Biomechanical Simulation of Humans and Bio-Inspired Humanoids (BH)2, Darmstadt, Germany, November 2010.
• M. Reggiani, M. Sartori, E. Ceseracciu, Z. Zawacha, D. G. Lloyd, C. Cobelli, E. Pagello. Enhancing Human-Machine Interfaces through EMG-driven Modeling and Human Movement Simulation. In Proceedings of the IEEE BioRob 2010. Japan, October, 2010.